Join our team! To view more details regarding a particular job, including a position description, responsibilities and application instructions, click the job title.
View All General Openings
Current job listings are shown below. As we continue to grow, please check back frequently for new openings.
ReStore Associate - Full Time and Part TimeGeneral Openings
Deadline: December 6, 2013 Contact: Lane Stumme Location: Des Moines, IA Read More...
Position Title: ReStore Associate
Supervisor Title: ReStore Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
General Position Summary:
A ReStore Associate helps process donations, load and unload items, and assist customers as needed. Tasks include cleaning, pricing, stocking, and rearranging items, in addition to providing friendly customer service at all times. Works to ensure that customers and donors have a positive experience at the ReStore; this includes providing friendly customer service, assisting in loading purchases and unlading donations, operating the cash register, cleaning/organizing/arranging displays, and pricing items.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with customers by providing high-quality customer service
- Answer customer questions regarding the ReStore in general and specific items
- Ensure that all areas of the store/warehouse are safe, clean, and organized
- Guard against theft and unsafe practices (clutter, tripping hazards, falling objects, etc.)
- Operate cash register to ring up customers
- Assist with the receiving of inventory
- Assist Customers with purchases – lifting, carrying and loading
- Move materials from warehouse to store floor
- Evaluate condition/acceptability of incoming donations
- Price materials to be sold
- Display merchandise in a way that maximizes sales
- Supervise volunteers as assigned
Describes the minimum education and experience, certifications, licenses, physical demands, working conditions and skill sets needed to perform the job
- High school diploma/GED required
- Great track record of providing excellent customer service
- Willingness to work with volunteers
- Knowledge of tools required
- Excellent communication skills
- Effective organizational skills
- Desire to work with diverse staff and customer base
- Committed to GDMHFH mission and environmental stewardship
- Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- All applicants need to pass criminal background check
- Demonstrates the ability to use commonly-used concepts, practices and procedures within the field.
- Must meet or exceed the ability to demonstrate the 5 core and common competencies outlined below.
- Convey clear, concise information to others, using verbal or other appropriate communication techniques.
- Complete formal training plan and assignments as required.
- Treat others in a nondiscriminatory, lawful and ethical manner, respecting the differences among people, and the value they bring to GDMHFH.
- Follow safe practices in all work activities to avoid injuries and accidents.
- Demonstrate commitment to Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity’s Mission and Core Values of:
- Demonstrate commitment to ReStore’s Value Propositions of:
- Faith and Integrity
- Compassionate and Motivated Workforce
- Excellence- Achieving exceptional and reliable performance
- Partnering – Working together to achieve productive and satisfying goals we can’t accomplish alone
- Utilizing – Seeking – Developing Best Practices
Normal Work Environment (Check best description):
Office Outdoors Retail
C Continuous (67-100% of workday)
O Frequent (34-66% of workday)
O Occasional (1-33% of workday)
Continuously = 67-100% of workday
Frequently = 34-66% of workday
Occasional = 1-33% of Workday
(Indicate C, F, or O in front of each below)
O Sitting C Standing
F Bending F Twisting
F Stooping F Reaching above Shoulder
F Kneeling F Reaching below Shoulder
O Crawling O Working at Low Position
O Climbing Stairs F Pushing/Pulling
O Climbing Ladders O Working on Elevated Surfaces
O Driving C Walking
O Working on uneven surfaces
Weight Lifting/Carrying: Dexterity:
0 Sedentary (0-10 lbs.) C Eye/Hand Coordination
F Light (11-25 lbs.) O Feet (foot pedals)
C Medium (26-50 lbs.) O Fingering (picking, pinching, etc.)
0 Heavy (51-74 lbs.) C Handling (holding, grasping, etc.)
0 Very Heavy (75-100 lbs.) C Wrist Motion (repetitive flexion/rotation)
Hearing: X Yes No
If yes, explain the reason hearing is necessary:
Hearing is necessary to perform the job as the ability to communicate verbally is essential to working with internal and external customers.
Visual Acuity Distance: (Example - clarity of vision at 20 inches or less):
Clarity of vision at 24 inches or less necessary to view computer monitor and read reports.
- Computer and Accessories
- General Office Supplies
- Using Hand tools
- Operating power tools
- Hand trucks
How to Apply
Position will be open until filled:
2.) Affirmative Action Form (PDF Attachment)
4.) Work Related References
5.) Cover Letter - stating why you would be an excellent candidate to work with Habitat for Humanity
to Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity
C/O Lane Stumme
2200 E. Euclid Ave, Des Moines 50317