Are you an individual or family looking for an opportunity to buy a simple, affordable house? The GDM Habitat homeownership program offers qualified families and individuals the opportunity for an affordable mortgage. The application process takes several months, and the homeownership program typically takes between 12 and 24 months to complete.
⇒ how to apply ⇐
Thank you for your interest in partnering with Greater Des Moines Habitat for Humanity to purchase an affordable house.
If you would like to start an application, here is what you need to do:
- Complete a Home Buyer Pre-Screening Questionnaire form (available for download here)
- Collect all the documents from the Document Checklist (listed below)
- Return all documents, completed pre-screening form, and $20 money order to Habitat for Humanity during the next open application period.
In order to complete the pre-screening phase of your application you need BOTH the completed pre-screening form, all the documents detailed on the Document Checklist, AND a $20 money order.
- Tuesday, October 1st, 8:00am- 4:30pm
- Wednesday, October 2nd, 8:00am- 4:30pm
- Thursday, October 3rd, 8:00am- 4:30pm
- Friday, October 4th, 8:00am- 4:30pm
- Monday, October 7th, 8:00am- 4:30pm
After you return your pre-screening form, documents, and $20.00 money order to Habitat, you will hear from Habitat for Humanity by phone or by mail within 30 days.
If you have questions or would like a Homebuyer Pre-Screening Questionnaire mailed to you, please call 515-650-1559 and leave your name and phone number or submit your contact information in the online form below.
Please collect all of the following documents (if applicable) and submit them with your completed Home Buyer Pre-Screening Questionnaire form.
____ A copy of a valid photo ID for all applicants
____ Copies of 3 months of pay stubs or payroll history for all jobs of all applicants and all adult employed household members
- If paid monthly, 3 consecutive pay stubs from the past three months.
- If paid bi-monthly, 6 consecutive pay stubs from the past three months.
- If paid weekly, 12 consecutive pay stubs from the past three months.
**If you are self-employed, please bring your 2018 federal tax forms along with the profit and loss statement.**
____ Copy of current year award letter for anyone household member receiving SSI or SSDI
____ Documentation of last 3 months of child support or alimony
____ $20 Money Order (for credit report fee)
Do you qualify?
Families must earn between 30-60% of the area median income and have a need for affordable housing.
Ability to Pay
Families who partner with GDM Habitat purchase their home from Habitat with a 20-30 year affordable mortgage.full family selection criteria
Willingness to Partner
Families complete 300-400 hours of sweat equity helping build their home and 24 hours of pre-purchase homebuyer education.
sign up for more info
Tem & Lia
“This is our house, this is our home and it will make our lives better. We are thankful for Habitat in helping us buy a house.”
“As a homeowner, I will feel confidence. I will be powerful. I will be able to take care of my kids and help them be successful.”